These are important tips on how to interview successfully and get the position you want. With many years experience, Yorkville Staffing has developed this list for you to help you succeed.
- Research: Do a little homework! Research the company and the position if possible as well as the people you will meet with at the interview. Ask questions which show your knowledge of the company and be ready to explain how you fit the position.
- Rehearse: In front of the mirror or a friend or relative. Act out the interview. Maintain eye contact!
- Prepare: Prepare for the Interview: Be on time which means 15- 20 minutes early. Bring several copies of your resume and a list of references.
- Dress for success: First impressions do matter! The best way to ensure a good first impression is to dress smart. It is generally best to wear a dark colored conservative suit. (for both men and woman)
- Listen: Listen to the question. Don't interrupt and anticipate the answer. Consider your answer before expressing it and then express it with conviction.
- Politeness: Be polite. Use "Mr./Ms." as appropriate, never first names. When shaking hands, make sure your grip is firm and confident.
- Be positive: Avoid making negative remarks about any previous jobs or employers. Also, refrain from complaining about any job-related tasks or responsibilities you were given in a previous position. Employers want to hire someone who is positive, enthusiastic, and able to meet and deal with challenges. Remember…everyone likes a winner!
- Follow up: A short letter thanking the interviewer for his/her time and efforts should be sent within 24 hours of the interview.